Come fall, I start missing home. There
is something about the crispness in the air and the shorter days that makes me
ache for my roots more intensely than during the rest of the year. I wonder
what the leaves look like in the Blue Ridge. I miss the extravagant Halloween
decorations of our old neighborhood. I get a hankering for all manner of pumpkin
confections, and I crave the American ingredients I cannot find in the Swiss
grocery store. Regardless of the time of year, however, there is one thing that
makes me yearn for home more than anything else and that is finding myself at any
sort of social gathering.
You see, for all their wide travel,
their sophisticated foods, their easy relationship to wine or nudity, Europeans
are completely missing out on the fine art of the Southern Introduction.
For those of us who grow up in the
South, one of the key components of our unwritten education is how to introduce
people in social settings. The importance of this skill is drummed into our cotillioned
heads from middle school forward so that we might blossom into gracious hosts. For
the uninitiated among you, here is a primer:
The goal of the Southern Introduction is
to indirectly help strangers feel at ease around each other. At any given
gathering, the host or hostess will introduce as many guests as possible. The exact
art initially involves presenting the two parties by first name. Among the
ladies, there is usually no handshaking. Let me repeat that because it is
important: Among the ladies, there is usually no handshaking. From there, the
gracious hostess imparts a tidbit of information about her guests. If they have
something obviously in common, she mentions that. Otherwise, she sticks to a
generic remark such as where the person works or what his or her hobby might
be, or if he or she has children, grandchildren, pets, a soda bottle collection,
you get the idea. Then, she flashes her most charming smile and moves on. Her
guests are left with a perfectly orchestrated segue into some small talk which
might or might not evolve into an actual conversation.
Not so in Switzerland. Here when you
arrive at a party, and let's just say, for fun, that you are new in a village
where everyone has known each other for practically all of their lives, you are
required to introduce yourself. TO EVERYONE IN THE ROOM. After greeting the
host or hostess with the obligatory three-cheek kisses (already quite daunting
if you are unused to it), you then proceed to walk up to each and every person
in the room, interrupt the animated conversation he or she might be involved in
with his or her best friend from kindergarten, thrust out your hand, look the
person straight in the eye and give either your first name or your last name
depending on an equally intricate system of formal and informal address. The
whole procedure takes about ten seconds total, and then you move on to the next
person. And the next. And the next. Until you have greeted every single person
in the room. The trick to surviving this ordeal with your sanity intact is to
arrive early because the rule is that once you are there, the newcomers are
required to approach you and not the other way around.
At any rate, after having shaken hands
and exchanged names with every single person in the room, you are then at
leisure to stand around feeling awkward and lonely for the rest of the
occasion. Which, since it is a Swiss party full of people who have known each
other all their lives, is going to last a very, very long time.
Clearly, such a direct procedure seems
terrifying to someone who grew up practicing the subtle art of the Southern
Introduction. Yet it is an integral part of Swiss culture, and as such, it must
be mastered at all costs. I know
because I have often enough barged into a group of people and forgotten the
handshake. Parent's Night at school, anyone? Choir Practice? Yoga class? Or how
about that time last Christmas when, with my mom here visiting, we went to a
small advent gathering held at a private home but organized by the village. Mom
and I waltzed into the room in our clanky, over-accessorized American manner,
flashed our biggest Southern smiles, and plunked ourselves down with a cup of
mulled wine.
A frosty silence descended upon the
formerly cheerful Yuletide gathering. And then a few incredibly awkward minutes
ensued as we attempted to make small talk with people who seemed not even
remotely interested in getting to know us. Fortunately, we were put out of our
agony by the arrival of some new guests, competent Swiss people, who proceeded,
after divesting themselves of their jackets, hats and scarves, to go around the
table and shake hands and exchange names with every single person in the room
whether they knew them already or not. Mom and I looked at each other as dark pools
of panic welled up in our eyes. I realized my mistake: I had done it again. I
had forgotten the damn handshake. We promptly stood up and proceeded to shake
hands and exchange names with every single person in the room before returning
to our comforting beakers of mulled wine. Let's just say the crowd considerably
brightened toward us after we did our round, and we even came away from the
festivity feeling vaguely good about ourselves, or at least not completely
mortified.
Recently, I met an American who has lived
in Switzerland for many decades. We were at a large gathering of choir singers
from around the region. She kindly introduced me to her friends and
acquaintances by explaining that, "This is Sabrina! She is also an
American living here in Switzerland!" I knew exactly what she was doing,
and I truly appreciated her effort, but I had to stifle a laugh at the reaction
of the various Swiss people to whom I was presented. Some of them were game and
smiled and maybe even exchanged a sentence or two. But many of them cocked
their heads and stared at us in puzzlement before moving on for a nice long
chat with an old friend from preschool.
Well over two years in to my Swiss education,
I still feel incredibly handicapped here in social situations. Will shaking
hands ever become a reflex? Something I just do without thinking? Will my heart
ever stop sinking to my ankles when I have to walk in to a room filled with
people? Will the Swiss ever learn to love small talk?
Though perhaps I just need to be more
patient with myself and with my host culture. For surely the Swiss live by as
many unwritten rules as any good Southerner does. I just have yet to master
them.

OH Sabrina! I remember it well! Love, Mama
ReplyDelete